xsl-list

Re: XSLT 2.0 *and* XSLT 1.0 validation -- how to?

2004-10-24 15:47:20

So better to have the stylesheets as 1.0, but individual templates as
2.0?

Not necessarily better, just different. You get different kinds of
errors and/or maintenance problems in the two cases, which is best
depends on various factors.

Basically the underlying 2.0 model of un-nested ordered sequences poluted
with XSD types is sufficiently different from that of 1.0 that there
will always be behavioural differences between a 1.0 and 2.0 processor,
even in backward compat mode. Given where they chose to start from I
think they've made a pretty good job of compatibility, but still they
could have started from somewhere else...

I think I'd view the 1.0 compat features in 2.0 as a way of easing
transition from one to the other not something that you'd really want to
build on as a long term feature of the design of the stylesheets.

David

http://www.star.net.uk