xsl-list

MSXSL.exe (Was: Re: [xsl] Collapsing run-on tag chains not working in saxon or xa lan)

2004-11-05 01:21:59
"Pieter Reint Siegers Kort" <pieter(_dot_)siegers(_at_)elnorte(_dot_)com> wrote
in message
I finally saw my last post show up :-)

Now what do you think of that? The tool's article was dated September
2001,
btw.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxml/html/
msxsl.asp

To be honest, I didn't know of the utility until today, when I entered the
thread that Richard started.

Yes, msxsl.exe is a very nice and useful utility. Brilliant programming by
Andy Kimball, who put so much functionality in just 20K.

There was an update done in 2003, I think. The latest download has been set
up on 19 Sep. 2004 at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2fb55371-c94e-4373-b0e9-db4816552e41&displaylang=en

There one will also find the source code of msxsl.

One year ago I had the pleasure to extend msxsl.exe with support for EXSLT
for MSXML4 (the Common and Sets modules). This can be downloaded from the
sourceforge.net page of FXSL. Around last Christmas I also performed a minor
fix to msxsl to make it work with high-frequency timers as I found out that
msxsl.exe stopped to display timings on my newly bought  PC. This latest
version can also be downloaded at FXSL's sourceforge.net page.

It is extremely useful and handy to use msxsl.exe with an XSLT IDE such as
XSelerator -- for example in this way it is possible to avoid writing any
code when using EXSLT for MSXML4.

I am very pleased using a similar utility -- nXSLT.exe (the msxsl analog for
.NET) by Oleg Tkachenko.

msxsl.exe and nXSLT are great tools, because they free the XSLT programmer
of any extraneous coding/integration tasks and allow them to concentrate
entirely on their XSLT code.

Cheers,

Dimitre.