xsl-list

RE: xslt phases for FAQ, was Reading the XML declaration using XSL

2005-01-20 04:39:45

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Colin Paul Adams
        Dave> Catalog resolution (if appropriate)

    This is either just a special case of entity resolution (in
    which case it needs no further mention in this phase), or
    else it is a special case of URI resolution

I *think* its URI resolution. Thanks.

    (in which case
    it takes place both when building the stylesheet, and when
    executing the doc() and document() functions).
Thanks. Forgotten those.

        Dave> Build the internal model of the source document Build the
        Dave> internal model of the stylesheet

    Other way round - the stylesheet must be compiled first, in
    order to determine the whitespace-stripping rules to be
    applied when stripping the source document.
<grin/> Oh no, someone else as fussy as DC!!!!
tks.

    I suppose that an implementation might build the source
    document in two stages, but this seems illogical.
    Also, in XSLT 2.0 - a source document need not be present,
    so building it is an optional step.

Always been an odd one that.
  Even saxon doesn't let me say 'forget the input doc' there isn't one.
Yet I'm sure its used in quite a few places.

Thanks.

DaveP

    --
    Colin Paul Adams