xsl-list

RE: XSL - Transforming 2 XSL stylesheets from 1 XML file

2005-05-05 06:31:00

"Andrew" == Andrew Welch <ajwelch(_at_)piper-group(_dot_)com> writes:

    >> In your case, it sounds like the medium should be sufficient -
    >> the desktop would be selected by coding media="screen", and the
    >> mobile device by media="handheld". You then invoke the XSLT
    >> transformer, saying (by means of it's API) which medium to
    >> target.

    Andrew> Which mobile devices support client side transforms, and
    Andrew> do so by detecting the media attribute?

I have no idea (which is why I was mentioning invoking the
transformer via it's API).

But any agent that claims to support the xml-stylesheet PI,
should behave like this.
That doesn't mean to say any do (I've just tested Firefox - it doesn't
- and Opera doesn't appear to do client-side XSLT at all).
After all, whoever heard of a compliant web browser? <groan />

The OP was after transforming a single XML file with different
stylesheets based on the type of client device used, including mobiles.
The only way to this is to detect the user-agent server side and use the
correct stylesheet.

The idea that you can list xml-stylesheet processing instructions in the
XML each with a media type and then have the device correctly pick that
stylesheet is fantasy - what constitutes a 'handheld' anyway?  It may
have been devised with good intentions, but in practice you need one
stylesheet per device as the ability of each device varies massively.
In practice most XML content destined for mobile devices get transformed
into a proprpetary format and then goes through proprietary software
which converts it to code suitable for the phone making the request.

cheers
andrew