xsl-list

Re: Re: Re: [xsl] Importing compiled stylesheets

2005-06-30 13:25:22

--- James Fuller <jim(_dot_)fuller(_at_)ruminate(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
This would give the impression that only a single compiled stylesheet
is
referenced. In fact the included stylesheet may and often would include

other compiled stylesheets, therefore I think that:

 <exslt:include-compiled-module href="hrefToCompiledStylesheet"/>

is slightly more precise in meaning.

+1, though this raises a few questions, look below

The intended use of the new extension element is not only to boost
performance, but also to make possible to deploy *libraries* of
xsl:function -s in a single module compiled module. Because the module
is
compiled, it would be possible to hide the source code and to protect
the
intellectual property of the developers.

yes, and this opens up other issues (admittedly a wider scope then
applicable to current disc)....such as packaging with such deployment
reuse structures...is there any XML digsig component of what we are
discussing?  I think a bit of research is required to review some
existing packaging efforts with XML, did this about a year ago, there
are some interesting things happening with respect to compound xml
documents, archives, packaged components

As Mike Kay rightfully pointed, we have an already developed spec for
modules in XQuery:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-query-prolog

and it would be wise to stick to it thus reusing the thought and
experience of the WG and also assuring that implementing
exslt:include-compiled-module will not require any significant effort from
vendours, who also implement XQuery.

should a compiled module come along with any meta data that maybe
introspected (version, author, etc)

The XQuery spec provides just the metadata (variable types and function
signatures), necessary for linking modules.

is there any XML DigSig relevence with respect to protection,
checksum...

any alignment with popular deployment package formats e.g. war/jar/ear

etc, etc...

I think as a first step we should concentrate on just a XQuery like
compiled module. Adding additional metadata and compression could follow
as next steps.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev

Discover Yahoo!