xsl-list

Re: Re: [xsl] Importing compiled stylesheets

2005-06-30 03:26:47

"Mike Brown" <mike(_at_)skew(_dot_)org> wrote in message

I would prefer exsl:compiled-stylesheet-href for the name of the
attribute.

This would give the impression that only a single compiled stylesheet is
referenced. In fact the included stylesheet may and often would include
other compiled stylesheets, therefore I think that:

  <exslt:include-compiled-module href="hrefToCompiledStylesheet"/>

is slightly more precise in meaning.

Re: implementations, add ours to the list. 4Suite supports compiled
stylesheets -- they are pickled Python objects -- although it should be
noted
that our stylesheet reader is now so fast that it is actually *less*
efficient
to use these 'compiled' stylesheets than it is to let the processor read
raw
XSLT from a memory or file system-based stream ... unless you're dealing
with
ginormous, multiple external entity-laden sheets like DocBook XSLT.

The intended use of the new extension element is not only to boost
performance, but also to make possible to deploy *libraries* of
xsl:function -s in a single module compiled module. Because the module is
compiled, it would be possible to hide the source code and to protect the
intellectual property of the developers.

To summarise, there are three expected benefits form the new
     exslt:include-compiled-module
element:

      -  performance;
      -  deployment;  and