xsl-list

RE: Encoding problem

2005-08-31 01:46:29

--- Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

I suspect that when you say the XML file has "utf-8
encoding", you mean that
it starts with an XML declaration that specifies the
encoding as being
utf-8; but that you suspect the encoding is really
windows-1252.

Yes, the file starts with XML declaration that
specifies the encoding as utf-8.
When I try to read the file through a InputStream API
in java, the reading terminates with an exception. The
cause of the exception being special characters (Curly
closing double quote). Hence I tried providing the
encoding as windows-1252 while reading the file. this
time there was no exception.

First step is to analyze the problem: find one of
the "unusual" characters
in the file and tell us (a) what the character is
supposed to be,
The character is Closing curly double quotes

and (b)
the sequence of hex octets used to encode it.
How can I find it ?

Thanks !!