xsl-list

RE: Apply-templates - how to omit top level element tags?

2005-09-08 16:23:23
What you quoted mixed part of my example and part of other people's
suggestions.

Basically, at this point, I'm pretty sure <xsl:apply-templates
select="Name/node()/> is exactly what I wanted.  Using

<xsl:apply-templates select="Name"/>
<xsl:template match="Guide/Name">
  <h1><xsl:apply-templates/></h1>
</xsl:template>

Won't work for me because, in other contexts, I want "Guide/Name" to
output something different, such as being surrounded by "<title>" tags
instead of "<h1>" tags.  So rather than have to create template rules
with different named modes that are each used on one and only one
context for each and every different context, I just inline
<xsl:apply-templates select="Name/node()/> where I need it, which does
exactly what I want, when I want it.  That's pull if I'm not mistaken.

OTOH, I use push to allow my content authors to use elements like macros
to get the trademark symbol and generated items like lists of products
generated by XSL but incorporated into their narrative.

Isn't that how it's suppose to work?

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, but at this point it's working for me
exactly as I needed.

-Mike