xsl-list

Re: Apply-templates - how to omit top level element tags?

2005-09-09 13:14:25
Because I didn't know I had.  Again, demonstrating the fragility of XSL

Errr.  Ok.  I've been ignoring that part of the thread because to tell
the honest truth I don't see much point in what seems like a endless
argument.  But this statement is so outlandish I have to make a
comment.  XSL is fragile because you can break things by messing
around?  That's pretty much true of any complex system.  You messed
around with a stylesheet, did some things you didn't understand, and
you got results you didn't understand.  I'm at a complete loss what
system wouldn't be fragile in your hands with this attitude.

In any case, best of luck.  I've been playing with XSLT mainly because
of my interest in systems for publishing of documents.  I've had
systems when I started out that sound a lot like yours, and they were
nightmares to maintain and work with.  But I've already said as much.

If you truly believe XSLT is so fragile, perhaps you would be better
of researching XPath based apis and libraries, XQuery, or any similar
system.  I'm sure they are out there, and those would allow you to use
the pull model without having to worry about templates.

I'm hoping the tone of this email isn't too negative.  If you decide
that you do want to use XSLT and you run into more problems, I hope
you will return to the list.  Really :).  On the other hand though, it
sounds like you really don't like it.  I can't imagine why you'd want
to stick with it then.

Jon Gorman