xsl-list

Re: Clark notation in XPath

2005-10-02 11:13:37
Joe Fawcett wrote:

One idea was to allow Clark notation when doing searches on documents as developers seem to struggle with the idea that that don't need to know the actual prefix used in a document.

Let's say I have in memory a document that has all elements in the http://myDomain.co.uk/namespaces/ns1 namespace.
I can select an element using the xpath:

MyDom.select("{http://myDomain.co.uk/namespaces/ns1}myElement";)

I bet that anyone who need to do more then one query would not like this syntax. AFAIK MS API allows to bind namespaces to prefixes and use them in XPath queries. So what is needed here is better education of developers. And you can always stick to good old XPath way:

*[local-name() = 'myElement' and namespace-uri() = 'http://myDomain.co.uk/namespaces/ns1']

However it wouldn't be bad if some future version of XML (and XPath) allowed to use Clarks notation everywhere where QName is allowed. But this will hardly happen I think.

                                        Jirka

  Jirka Kosek     e-mail: jirka(_at_)kosek(_dot_)cz     http://www.kosek.cz
  Nejbližší termíny školení: DocBook 5.-7.12. * XSL-FO 19.-20.12.
     XSLT 17.-20.10. * XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.