xsl-list

RE: Clark notation in XPath

2005-10-02 12:57:56
I have thought for a long time that it would be a good idea to allow such a
notation (a) in source XML, (b) in XPath expressions, and (c) in the lexical
space of the xs:QName data type; but I haven't had much success in
persuading anyone.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Fawcett [mailto:joefawcett(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 02 October 2005 19:08
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Clark notation in XPath

Dear All

I was talking to someone at Microsoft last week about greater
adoption of XML in
general and some of the things people struggle with.

One idea was to allow Clark notation when doing searches on
documents as
developers seem to struggle with the idea that that don't
need to know the
actual prefix used in a document.

Let's say I have in memory a document that has all elements in the
http://myDomain.co.uk/namespaces/ns1 namespace.
I can select an element using the xpath:

MyDom.select("{http://myDomain.co.uk/namespaces/ns1}myElement";)

Of course this is not standard but I'm sure similar ideas
have been mooted in
the past so I'd appreciate your comments.

Joe

--~--