xsl-list

Re: Conditionally use attribute sets?

2005-11-14 09:25:02
I think the good use for attribute sets is in non-conditional settings. I
use them to define styles for FO documents (by keeping them in a separate
file that I include for many documents).

I'd rather have

<fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="body">
  <!-- Content here -->
</fo:block>

than

<fo:block>
  <xsl:call-template name="body-format">
  <!-- Content here -->
</fo:block>

because it's one line shorte and because it keeps the attributes in the
attribute declaration of the element, which appeals to me.

FWIW

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
11/14/2005 04:34 AM
Please respond to
xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
cc

Subject
Re: [xsl] Conditionally use attribute sets?

  But after the recommendation, it seems it's not possible:

I think after using xslt most days since the earliest drafts of xslt 1
I've used most parts of the language multiple times, but I've never used
attribute sets, which have always seems rather useless to me.

Instead of an attribute set you can use a named template that consists
of a sequence of xsl:attribute statements. It is far more flexible.

    <xsl:template name="my.set">
      <xsl:attribute name="attr">value</xsl:attribute>
    </xsl:template>

    <literal-res-elem>
      <xsl:if test="@condition">
        <xsl:call-template name="my.set"/>