xsl-list

RE: Date Difference

2005-12-21 05:02:13
Just to be clear on this one, there is no such function as
op:subtract-dates() (or any prefixed with op:) and it's in the CR
purely to demonstrate $earlier and $later?  Is that what you are
saying?

There is no function with this name available to users (and to make this
perfectly clear, we refrained from telling anyone what the namespace uri for
"op:" was). It's a formal specification device to define the semantics of
the "-" operator when the arguments are dates.

To be honest, the way the specifications of XPath operators are described
was for the convenience of the authors, not the readers. (Why does it take
more than ten times as many pages to specify XPath 2.0 as it took for XPath
1.0? Answer: because it was done by a bigger committee). I tried to get it
changed, but the change was considered too risky. The argument is always
that users who can't follow the spec can always buy themselves a book.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/