xsl-list

Re: Date Difference

2005-12-19 16:34:11

We all know that the conventional format for dates differs from place
to place. I don't think anyone was really confused by the examples in
the Original Posting, but some of us just couldn't pass up the
opportunity to dust of a chip-on-shoulder.

as I think I was probably the first to comment on that, this is probably
at least partly aimed at me. I think I did answer fully (as fully as I
had time for) and returned that date in iso format to make it clear I
had guessed the intended format, despite the comment at the top of my reply.

However the earlier comment was not just a gratuitous dig at North
America. It was a serious point, that (I would guess) that it was only
by coincidence that the day field in the example happened to be larger
than 12, if it had not been then I for one would certainly have read
both dates in European order, because er I'm European. If people
supplying explict regexp example solutions had made a similar error
their code would fail to give the desired answer. I've seen many a date
related thread lose time because of this, the comment was just a warning
(still necessary I think) to people makeing date related questions to
try to remember to explictly say they are using ddmmyyyy or mmddyyyy (or
yyyymmdd or whatever) format.

that said, I still respect your right to to keep the list on an even
keel and damp down inter continental bickering before it gets out of
hand, so I don't object to your comment (just disagree with it, a bit)

David