xsl-list

RE: Re: Pagebreaks in Excel-HTML transformer

2006-02-03 08:30:39
You have conflated too many marginally-related pieces. We've been discussing
Cocoon, XSLT, and Excel. This has made it difficult to get to the bottom of the
problem. This list concerns itself with XSL and throwing Cocoon and Excel into
the mix caused confusion.

The good news is that you have come up with the answer you've been looking for.
Let me make a few points.

1) To re-emphasize: HTML documents are a single page. There is no concept of a
page break.

2) If Excel can read an HTML document (I know it can, I've used it to do this),
and can paginate it when printing, then Excel is using some markup that has
meaning to it and this markup has no meaning (or a different meaning) to
browsers.

3) The HTML "br" element forces a new line in a browser. If Excel interprets
this differently (to force a new page when printing) then you will want to
change your stylesheet (what you have been referring to as a "transformer") so
that a <br> is emitted at the point where the three blank lines now appear. I
just changed your stylesheet, replacing this:

<xsl:template match="page-break">

with this:

<xsl:template match="page-break"><br
style="page-break-after:always;"></br></xsl:template>

and ran the transformation. I then opened the resulting file in Excel and did a
print preview. That construct does insert page breaks. You have found your
answer.
--
Charles Knell
cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com - email