xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Displaying one section of XML file at a time

2006-03-15 15:52:50
Gowri,

At 05:06 PM 3/15/2006, you wrote:
> (So: Yes,
> you can do
> client-side. Are you ready? Are the benefits worth
> being that much
> closer to the edge? It could be. Some of us like it
> out on the edge.)

Wow, this is exactly what I have been contemplating
since last three weeks - whether I will be ready to do
the transformation on client-side! And that is why I
decided to come up with an example so that I would
know whether it would work with our publication
scenario.

That's a smart approach.

Keep in mind that pushing closer to the edge means greater risks. Some readers of this list like the risks, partly I suppose because the rewards can be great. So they arrange things so they can do innovative projects that push those boundaries. Other readers are less risk-tolerant, or work for organizations that must be risk-averse when it comes to this kind of thing.

Personally, I don't write much client-side code except for home use. In my case that's probably because I just hate all the delicacies of tailoring code to do the same thing differently in different browsers. So I am limited to "greatest common factor" solutions. This gives me a great appreciation of those who are able to put up with going into the proprietary stuff, since they can make things dance in ways I can't. Or even better, they can work to provide a layer such as Sarissa (look it up if you're going to work on the client), which works towards what I need -- a *standard*, thanks, something agnostic and ecumenical -- and which goes to demonstrate what *should* be possible.

On the other hand, those who push the boundaries need me, too. Without people like me who follow behind and try to show that not only is X-magic possible, it can also (given a reasonable investment) be *easy*, and in keeping with what you're already doing rather than a departure from it -- and therefore not so risky after all -- even the best of their innovations wouldn't last as long as the obsolescing machines they're coded on.

Uh-oh, this isn't really about XSL any more is it?

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez