xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Displaying one section of XML file at a time -- posting again

2006-03-28 10:08:28
Jon,

Thanks a lot! I made all the changes you suggested,
and it worked in my transformation mode - sending XML
with a stylesheet PI to the browser!!

<cd id="2">

Word of warning.
shouldn't start with numbers. I don't think this
will
cause an error
necessarily at any point, but it might in some
tools.

You are right, although it didn't cause any problem, I
did change it to c2 as you suggested.

<h2>
onClick="toggle('$id')">

              ^^^^
I think you're trying to do attribute value
templates.  See
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#attribute-value-templates.
 Remember XSLT
doesn't know anything about the output format.  So
if you do this it
will literally put out toggle($id) (view the
generated source).

                                              ^^^^^
And here you assign all the elements the literal id
value $id.  Hence
there's a conflict in ids, and browsers will behave
unpredictably.
Most will probably just grab the first element with
that id.

Yes, that's what was happening. While IE dispalyed the
first table, Mozilla dispalyed the second one. Thanks
for pointing me to the documentation on
attribute-value-templates again. It helped me solve
the problem.

You really do need to make sure you have some way of
viewing the
generated html page.  Either using view generated
source via a plugin

You mean something like Sarissa, right? That's what I
am planning on to do next.

or browser setting

Could you please expand on this one? When I send the
XMl file with stylesheet PI to the browser, and view
the source, I see the XML file. Is there a way to view
the transformation by changing the browser settings?

or generating using a stand-alone processor.

Yes, planning to download Saxon.

This would have been much easier to notice had you
done this.
Couldn't agree more :)

I greatly appreciate your help!

Regards,