xsl-list

Re: [xsl] What is a better word for "de-duplication"?

2006-08-29 08:45:20
At 07:43 PM 8/28/2006, Dimitre wrote:
Certainly "duplicate elimination" is precise and clear and of course I
knew about this phrase and still asked my initial question. Why?

Because I was looking for a single word to describe the set of nodes
resulting from duplicate elimination.

While I can say

    "factorised nodes"

it is quite awkward to say:

  "duplicate-eliminated" nodes.

and

 "nodes with eliminated duplicates"

is a long, 4-word phrase.

For that I'd probably say "uniquely-valued nodes" or, since I don't much like the word "unique" (mainly since it's so commonly abused these days to mean "special"), then "distinctly-valued nodes" or (when talking in the context, for example, of Muenchian grouping) "representative nodes".

Cheers,
Wendell