xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

2007-01-24 13:14:10
Dear friends,

The way the thread on the announcement (on XSLT 2.0 becoming an
official W3C recommendation) got twisted in these last messages -- is
really ridiculus.

This thread is not about Java -- it is about XSLT 2.0.

I believe there are more appropriate forums to complain about Java flaws.

As a Saxon 8.x user I have never experienced any Java-related problems
(BTW, what is Java?  :o)    )

and let me assure you that a lot of people like me most probably find
this Java-flaws discussion totally inappropriate not only for this
thread but also for this forum.

This is what makes XSLT great -- I don't have to care about Java and I
don't have to care about an operating system.

The IDE I am using (the good ol' XSelerator) allows me to invoke each
out of ten different XSLT (2.0 or 1.0) processors in a mouse click.

So, in case somebody wants to pursue related topics in this forum, I'd
suggest a title something as "Implementation-Language-independent IDE
for XSLT" -- but definitely *not* this thread, please.

Or, if somebody doesn't like XSLT 2.0 (no matter for what reasons),
they shouldn't feel obliged to convince the rest of us that they are
right -- I believe they are, the same way people, who are still
writing in Assembler are right, given their circumstances.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev

On 1/24/07, Elliotte Harold <elharo(_at_)metalab(_dot_)unc(_dot_)edu> wrote:
Abel Braaksma wrote:

> In reality, in Windows, it is more something like:
>
> 1. For a windows executable it must be in the path to be executed, for a
> jar file it must be in the ext dir
> Is this far more complex than a traditional Java jar file? You better
> believe it ;-)

Actually no. There are two critical differences:

1. Once the Windows executable is properly configured, you don't have to
do it again. You have to rearrange the JAR file every time you change
directories.

2. There aren't multiple paths to deal with. There are multiple
classpaths and jre/lib/ext directories to deal with.

> Well, I grew up with Windows 3.0, MS DOS before that etc, so I am lucky
> to understand why it is so and how to change these settings. But many
> aren't. I am not saying that things in Java world are easy, but I
> consider it far from reality to say things are easy in Windows (or Unix)
> environments.

Actually Unix is pretty good. I believe on my Mac I just type "xsltproc"
and I'm done. Possibly at some point I had to do "sudo fink install
libxslt" but I don't think I even had to do that. Linux would probably
use apt-get instead. Otherwise it's much the same.

--
?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo(_at_)metalab(_dot_)unc(_dot_)edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!

--~--

--
Cheers,