xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

2007-01-24 07:42:19
Nic James Ferrier wrote:
Why? Because xsltproc is part of my operating system.

I wasn't aware of that. That sounds a bit like the MS lock-in principle (it isn't you can use any other tool of course), but I understand the ease of using something that is already there. However, I've grown accustomed to always trying the alternatives. But since xsltproc isn't even close to XSLT 2 meant that it isn't an alternative for me.

(the original topic was: why not try XSLT 2, and Elliotte replied: because Saxon is so much a pain to use)

Whereas everytime I use saxon I have to spend 10 minutes working it
all out.

That's something you can change, see below.

It's not that. The documentation isn't great and it doesn't try very
hard to do the right thing.

Ok, granted: opinions vary and the API of Saxon is quite huge, so having such a new product will take some time to document.

But on the command line docs it is quite clear (at least, that is what I find).

For example, you should be able to run saxon just with a jar, eg:

  java -jar saxon.jar my.xslt myinput.xml

This is precisely the way you should call it, indeed.

And:

java -jar saxon.jar -it main my.xslt

if you have an "initial template" and no input document.

java -jar saxon.jar -it main -s myinput.xml my.xslt

if you have both an "initial template" *and* an input document (this addition is fairly new, but I believe it follows the semantics of xsltproc)

If these things were done then people like Elliotte and myself would
use saxon more.

These things are done, so: try it out and enjoy the extreme power of XSLT 2 over XSLT 1! ;)