xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Transforming tabular information to hierarchical

2007-02-13 11:27:59
Simon Shutter wrote:
Hi Martin,

So I substituted my file URL for the one Andrew used but I'm not sure what
to do next.  What (input xml file) am I transforming?  Can you apply an XSL
file without an input file?

Yes. In XSLT 2 you can. In XSLT 1, if you wanted to do that, the trick was usually to apply the stylesheet itself as input. In this case, the stylesheet does little when applied normally. Andrew made the initial template to have the name "main" (could be any named template). A processor must give you a way to set the "initial template", which is the name of this template: "main".

With Saxon this is:
java -jar saxon8.jar -it main yourstylesheet.xslt

Because you use an external resource with unparsed-text() function, there is no XML input in this case at all.

-- Abel