xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT

2008-10-28 05:48:22
I don't think that every feature that appears in XQuery has to be in XSLT
and vice versa: just because you can do something with your hammer doesn't
mean you have to be able to do it with your screwdriver as well. XQuery
badly needed in-situ update because it does not have the ability to make
small changes to a document using the "modified identity template" coding
pattern.

The idea of in-situ updates leads to a lot of architectural complexity,
especially in a non-database environment. I think XSLT is likely to stick to
the basic model of transforming an input document to create an output
document.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: jesper(_dot_)tverskov(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
[mailto:jesper(_dot_)tverskov(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Jesper
Tverskov
Sent: 28 October 2008 08:39
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT

I have tested XQuery Updates in Saxon SA 9.1 and it works
like a dream.  I was wondering if something similar is going
to be available in XSLT?  How can XSLT do without such a
killer feature?

Cheers,
Jesper Tverskov

http://www.xmlkurser.dk