xsl-list

Re: [xsl] SGML to XML

2009-02-27 19:35:23
MS> The main problem I had with SX was that its method of normalizing
MS> names was to uppercase all of them, ... (Later, I found a
MS> stylesheet from Wendell Piez that makes this easy; ...

WP> In any case, the routine you are speaking of is a pretty
WP> straightforward table-driven mapping, perhaps somewhat innovative
WP> in its time but now hardly impressive.

The good news is that the routine is no longer required. In 2004 or
so, at the request of the TEI task force on P3 SGML to P4 (XML)
migration, Jessica Hekman wrote a patch for osx so that (by setting a
switch) its output will now all be in the correct case[1]. This patch
was accepted by the OpenJade project, and appeared in osx version
1.5.1.

BTW, the reports of that task force may prove useful to the original
poster or others converting from SGML to XML. See
http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Workgroups/MI/#body.1_div.2

Notes
-----
[1] Except for the root element name as it appears in the DOCTYPE
    declaration, which is still converted to upper case. This bug was
    reported in early 2004, and assigned to Jessica in early 2006. I
    believe she is now a veterinarian, and I doubt she'll get around
    to fixing this anytime soon. :-(
    See

https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/index.php?func=detail&aid=891321&group_id=2115&atid=102115
    if interested.