xsl-list

RE: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"

2009-06-04 18:10:14
Had an interesting discussion that I started on a Linkedin
group, but should probably have started here.  I had
originally asked the question "can you sell an XSLT?".  And
by that I don't mean is it possible, but would anyone buy
one.  What is the market for XSLTs as products?

I assume by "XSLTs" you mean stylesheets?

I don't normally hear Java programs referred to as Javas. And perhaps that's
the point. If people buy a program, they buy it for what it does, not for
what language it's written in.

 Ken Holman of course highlighted a key component to this
topic, which is obfuscation in order to protect intellectual
property.

I know at least one user who uses the Saxon ability to compile stylesheets
in order to protect the source code.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/