xsl-list

Re: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"

2009-06-05 09:09:32
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Florent Georges<lists(_at_)fgeorges(_dot_)org>
wrote:

Dimitre Novatchev wrote:

 Hi,

What is still missing is the ability to compile a set/library
of stylesheets that can be used by a primary stylesheet at
runtime.  Though there is not any provision in the W3 Spec how
to do this for XSLT (I think things are better for XQuery), a
de-facto standard/implementation would be extremely useful. Not
only some existing libraries such as FXSL, FunctX, ()one put
here any EXSLT *implementation*, although EXSLT is just a
specification, and by default the implementations are not in
XSLT themselves) etc., would benefit from easier deployment
(say in browsers), but this will stimulate authors to write
more such libraries -- to the benefit of the whole XSLT
developers community.

 While I agree on the benefits, I do not think that's an effect
of being able to /compile/ libraries, but more generally of
having a standard /packaging/ format (kind of a JAR containing a
set of XSLT modules and a descriptor of them, for instance.)

Both have a great effect. Whenever a developer considers producing an
XSLT application, which uses an XSLT library, often the blocking
factor is the necessity to distribute to the customers not only the
application itself, but also hundreds of files that are part of the
XSLT library being used.

I agree that even a mechanism to provide something like a zipped
archive in a single file solves this problem and this would be
sufficient if it were not less - performant than having the stylesheet
modules already compiled.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev