xsl-list

Re: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"

2009-06-05 06:51:25

Dimitre Novatchev wrote:

  Hi,

What is still missing is the ability to compile a set/library
of stylesheets that can be used by a primary stylesheet at
runtime.  Though there is not any provision in the W3 Spec how
to do this for XSLT (I think things are better for XQuery), a
de-facto standard/implementation would be extremely useful. Not
only some existing libraries such as FXSL, FunctX, ()one put
here any EXSLT *implementation*, although EXSLT is just a
specification, and by default the implementations are not in
XSLT themselves) etc., would benefit from easier deployment
(say in browsers), but this will stimulate authors to write
more such libraries -- to the benefit of the whole XSLT
developers community.

  While I agree on the benefits, I do not think that's an effect
of being able to /compile/ libraries, but more generally of
having a standard /packaging/ format (kind of a JAR containing a
set of XSLT modules and a descriptor of them, for instance.)

  Regards,

--
Florent Georges
http://www.fgeorges.org/