xsl-list

RE: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"

2009-06-05 18:04:30
Interesting discussion.  I has similar concerns around compiling and
archiving as mentioned by folks.
But is compiling really that much of a barrier?  One could take a couple
tacs.  First, ship the XSLTs with a processor, that way you have closer to a
self contained unit.  Second, you could hit 80% of folks by going with a
pretty small number of processors.  I work with a lot of different clients
and I could hit virtually all of them with 4 processors or less.  Not
perfect, but what in this world is?

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 4:37 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"

JVM byte-code or .NET IL code both are not processor-specific.
Fortunately, there is no need for XSLT byte-code :)

I can't imagine anyone compiling XSLT to byte-code that doesn't need the
support of a processor-specific runtime library, so the compiled code will
inevitably be tied to a particular XSLT processor.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay