xsl-list

Re: [xsl] import, xslt 2.1

2010-03-13 02:55:15
On 13/03/10 08:10, Dave Pawson wrote:
On 12/03/10 16:37, Michael Kay wrote:

<xsl:import href="fred.xsl"
use-when="doc-available('../dirName')"/>

That sort of thing?
Sounds like a kludge Mike?

I'm sorry that you think so. We wanted a general purpose feature for
conditional compilation, and we introduced one which I think is in
many ways
superior to the conditional compilation features found in other
languages,
where they exist at all.

It's not clear to me why so many people ask for some kind of run-time
conditional xsl:include. It shows a complete lack of understanding of the
XSLT processing model. Dynamic loading as practiced in Java, for example,
could be an interesting feature, but I don't think anyone would expect
it to
be done using xsl:include.

Should I read xml:import and your complaints about xsl:include as being
in the same category?

btw I can't get

<xsl:import href="fred.xsl"
use-when="doc-available('../dir/filename.xml')"/>

to work, even when the relative file exists.

any suggestions please?

Because of the restrictions on available evaluation context!
(including access to external documents)
I.e. it's no good whatsoever for my use case.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.