xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Avoiding boneheaded mistakes in XSLT?

2010-12-29 18:54:59
On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman(_at_)brown(_dot_)edu>
wrote:
Please, don't.

There's nothing more frustrating ...

But surely, if Michael added this to Saxon, it would be turned on and
off via a commandline switch? My instinct is that, in general, such
messages would be annoying and unhelpful. But then, once in awhile,
it would be just the ticket. In those (rare) cases, I'd be willing to
slog through multitudes of uninteresting warnings to find the one of
interest.

Syd, you misunderstood me. I never said that there would even be a
single interesting among these. What I said is that all those unwanted
messages would hide a message of *another kind,* that is really
important.

Just because some people haven't thought enough before asking for a
"feature",  doesn't justify implementation.

What is useful, has already been provided by SA processors for years.

Should the XSLT programmers be forced to spend a sizable portion of
their time suppressing unwanted "error" messages?

We all want more helpful debuggers, but no tool can prevent the flaws
of our thinking. No tool author knows the people who would be using
his tool and their way of thinking. And none of us can correct such
fundamental flaws by just offering another requirement for any tool.
The most fundamental flaw is the incorrect definition of a "problem"
-- if such a flaw is not detected immediately it causes the biggest
loss: an effort spent in the wrong direction.

I admire G.Ken Holman's patience in explaining why "without schema
awareness, implementations are doing the correct thing by not
reporting any errors or messages in this regard".

I deeply respect all developers of XSLT processors for their wisdom of
filtering out such "requirements".

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev