xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Avoiding boneheaded mistakes in XSLT?

2010-12-29 22:50:07
On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 02:39:04PM +0000, Dave Pawson scripsit:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:14:15 +0000
David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
On 29/12/2010 13:09, Piet van Oostrum wrote:
It would be nice if processors would have a debug mode in which
XPath expressions would be checked against a schema or DTD and give
a warning when some 'impossible' expression is encountered.
Impossible meaning something that never can give a non-empty result
on valid documents. Probably just paths that are illegal according
to the schema.

That's exactly what a schema aware xpath2 processor will do.

Even without schema awareness/context, surely the processor can
tell when an xpath expression will result in zero match?

But a zero match is completely legitimate, isn't it?

If I'm matching on para/b, and much of my input doesn't have it, and
some of it does, I shouldn't get a warning because I'm looking for
something that isn't in this particular input file.

Or am I completely mis-understanding what you want, there?

-- Graydon