xsl-list

Re: [xsl] [ANN] Saxon-CE - XSLT 2.0 on the browser

2011-03-29 05:01:06

I'm curious what others (including Mike) think the prime use cases are
for this tech.

I'm sure people will find ways of using this that never occurred to me - there were already one or two interesting ideas raised in Prague.

The most obvious immediate routes into this technology are

(a) getting existing XSLT processing off the server onto the client

(b) upgrading existing XSLT client-side processing to XSLT 2.0 (and to support devices that currently have no XSLT processor).

(c) adding interactive behaviour to existing XSLT client side processing, rather than splitting it between XSLT and JavaScript

There are plenty of future directions that are still a little fuzzy in my mind:

(d) a much cleaner interaction model based on XForms but extended to multi-page dialogs, all defined declaratively with automatic bookmarking and history management; device-independence extending beyond the single-page level of granularity, so that dialogs that are single-page on a large screen can be multi-page on a small screen

(e) a "declarative AJAX" that distributes processing asynchronously between client and server without low-level event handling

Certainly the next significant steps are to work out how this technology fits with XForms, and how it fits with AJAX.

There's clearly an objective that web applications -especially those that use XML content - should be significantly easier to build this way than with JavaScript. That won't win over all the JavaScript whizzkids, of course (any more than XSLT wins over all the Java whizzkids on the server) - but I measure success by whether those who use the technology get benefits from it, not by whether it takes over the world.

Michael Kay
Saxonica