xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Does the count() function require access to the whole subtree?

2014-01-15 03:44:59
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 08:28:11 +0000
Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

I think that in this discussion people may have overlooked that XSLT
3.0 doesn't use the word "overlap" as a defined technical term. It
uses it only in informal English explanations that are trying to help
people understand the more formal terminology.

Formal in 'spec'ese' is normally required to be clear?

The word appears in the spec 9 times, most of them in phrases such as
"For example, an implementation might be able to treat the
expression .//title as striding rather than crawling if it can
establish from knowledge of the schema that two title elements will
never overlap.".

We're not talking about whether to replace a technical term in the
spec. We're talking about whether a sentence such as the above is
clear to readers, and if not, how it can be improved.

IMHO it is not clear Mike. Not in the least. Without definitions
of such terms how are implementers supposed to comprehend it?

regards

--

regards

--