xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Managing debug logging in complex transforms: what do people do?

2014-03-24 17:03:13
On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 08:50:33PM +0000, Andrew Welch scripsit:
On 24 March 2014 20:28, Graydon <graydon(_at_)marost(_dot_)ca> wrote:
[oXygen debugger very useful]
That is all true and it's wonderful when it's practically available.

My experience is that it simply takes too long to be useful with "real"
(that is, the multi-thousand-template, here's a several tens of MB of
input document, horrid conversion stylesheets I was most recently
dealing with) input.  Two orders of magnitude slower than non-debug
execution, and a definitive answer to "but where did it die?" could be
had by other, if more effortful, means.

I also have the pleasure of debugging other people's 10,000+ line
spidery mess of call templates, and I've never had an issue with
speed...  I'm guessing the transform you were working already took a
long time?

Single digit integer minutes, quite often, outside debug mode.

Many many fairly deep path matches in the template matches;
SECTION/SECTEXT/PARA and SECTION/PARA are entirely different things in
the input SGML markup and must be handled differently, multiplied by
lots, plus a massive exercise in grouping to meet the new XML
mixed-content handling standards.  Combined with the large input files,
I suspect it just made the debugger start swapping and any time I've
ever had an XSLT process start doing that with Saxon-J it gets very
slow.

-- Graydon