xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Future of XSL 1.0 support

2020-11-25 03:57:58
Just as if the system was written in COBOL or Fortran, you should be aware that
you're using old technology that (a) won't be around for ever, and (b) will get
more difficult to support over time. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to
do anything about it right now, but relying on old technology does have costs
and risks. That's particularly true in today's world, where a lot of software
is dependent on open source components whose developers lose interest in
maintaining it, and where companies like Microsoft are increasingly cavalier
about dropping support for old technologies in the interests of moving forward
more rapidly (they have to, if they're going to compete with new entrants to
the market).

Your biggest security in this situation comes from being part of a large
community of users. If there are lots of other people in the same situation
(and there are) then there's far less risk of the plug being pulled. But the
community dwindles over time, and eventually you start to find all your friends
have walked away and you're on your own....

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 25 Nov 2020, at 02:53, Charles Muller
acmuller(_at_)l(_dot_)u-tokyo(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp

Dear XSLT'ers,

Having followed the recent thread on oXygen 23 which ended up dealing with
the issue of ongoing support for XSL 1.0, I'm guessing that I should be
concerned.

I know the basics of XSLT, but I wouldn't really call myself a programmer. I
manage an online dictionary (www.buddhism-dict.net) that I presume runs on
XSL 1.0 (XML nodes are called up via a Perl search and then rendered into
HTML via XSL) on a Linode host.

The system was built by Michael Beddow, who passed away last year, so the
XSLT version is not being updated.

Do you think this is a matter that should be of some pressing concern for me
now?

Your advice will be appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
 version="1.0">

--

A. Charles Muller, Professor

Buddhist Culture Research Center
Musashino University
1-1-20 Shinmachi, Nishitokyo-shi
Tokyo 202-8585, Japan
Office Phone: 042-468-3145

(University of Tokyo, Professor Emeritus)
http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @ACharlesMuller