xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Side notes layout in xslt?

2021-10-14 08:19:41
Yes instead of xslt I meant xsl-fo. I'm going to be using DITA XML and need to
produce a pdf. It has been a long time since I've done a full up xsl-fo
implementation and couldn't remember if this could be done. Ultimately the
un-expressed part of the question was if the spec as well as the for engine
would be able to produce the results I wanted.Kevin's link to the use cases
provided some sample code to get started with, so that is a great help and on
quick check appeared to be standard xsl-fo, so no worries of needing any vendor
specific extensions. We have been using the DITA OT to produce our pdfs, but
these are not our primary deliverable and for has been working ok for that. I
may try and get a commercial product for the added support that would bring now
that I have something that pdf will be the primary deliverable.Thanks for all
the responses...danSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Wendell Piez
wapiez(_at_)wendellpiez(_dot_)com"
<xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> Date: 10/14/21  4:48
AM  (GMT-08:00) To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com Subject:
Re: [xsl] Side notes layout in xslt? Hi,There is also a complication.
Contributors to this list have offered pointers to solutions using XSLT and
XSL-FO, but they have not stressed addressed the "no cost" context:- There is
only one widely available *free* FO engine (or cake baking machine), namely
Apache FOP.- For those able to support software development by buying licenses,
there are also FO engines that are more fully-featured and more capable than
FOP, which is free to use, but bare bones- The "aligning pagination on two
parallel texts, one with side notes" requirement is the kind of thing that is
straightforward using a commercial engine but maybe not quite so easy using the
bare-bones FOP. Or it may be easy, perhaps if you can recast the problem to be
easier (as Tony Graham shows). You have to have done it to know, and it varies
by problem. Readers have already offered hints and tips as to how to go
about this one.So the answer to "can you get a free cake baking machine" is
yes, but it won't be as nice as the one you pay for and the cakes might not be
as nice either, depending on what you need for cake.Further complication is
that XSL-FO is only one option for a 'taxi format': people are also making
print and PDF by other means, even with XSLT.Regards, WendellOn Thu, Oct 14,
2021 at 3:53 AM Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com
<xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:Subject: [xsl]
Side notes layout in xslt?  Before I start this I'm looking for confirmation
this is possible in xslt. You're misunderstanding the role of XSLT here. XSLT
transforms your XML to some other format, such as HTML, XSL-FO, CSS, etc. You
could even use it to transform directly to PDF if you were prepared to do a lot
of work. The question is (a) what format are you converting to, and (b) does
that format support side notes (and if so how). Once you've established that
the target format supports side-notes, the answer to the question whether you
can generate the side-notes using XSLT will be "yes".Your question is a bit
like asking whether you can bake a chocolate cake using Java. If you have a
cake baking machine connected to your computer and you know what instructions
you need to send it, the answer is yes; if you don't, then the answer is no.
Your question is really one about cake baking machines, not about Java.XSL-List
info and archiveEasyUnsubscribe (by email) XSL-List info and
archiveEasyUnsubscribe (by email)

XSL-List info and archive

EasyUnsubscribe
(by email)

-- ...Wendell Piez... ...wendell -at- nist -dot- gov......wendellpiez.com...
...pellucidliterature.org... ...pausepress.org......github.com/wendellpiez...
...gitlab.coko.foundation/wendell...

XSL-List info and archive

EasyUnsubscribe
(by email)