Fw: Angle brackets surrounding Content-ID

2004-10-08 06:11:32

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Lindsey" <chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
Newsgroups: local.mime
To: <LIST: ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 6:49 AM
Subject: Re: Angle brackets surrounding Content-ID

Have you heard of any case where this esoteric change of semantics
actually caused a problem?

IOW, is this a theoretical curiosity, or a cause of real problems in
meatspace?

Well,  traditionally, for the few networks I've been involved with, the
<id-right> has always been the domain and besides for tracking and
threading,  it might be used for dupe processing at the original domain
source.

In other words,  the normal approach is to check for your own domain, not
others.  The thinking is that each domain will take care of its own.

For netmail (email), it is not as important because most networks don't
bother to dupe check person-to-person mail, but this is not the case for
conference mail;  news, echos, etc.  So when my news gateway program is
importing new articles, it expects the id-right to be the domain. If a
incoming id-right is your own domain, then that is considered a dupe,
skipped and/or not imported.

So what if someone else does something different with id-right?

I guess, as long as you are consistent for your own mail, processing and
protecting you own mail from coming back in and more importantly, not
accidentally reexporting, well,  I guess it should not really matter for
other's people mail.    But I think it should remain a standard expectation
across the board.  I mean, the odds are low, but if its not inconsistent you
risk conflicts with similar id-rights.

PS: There should not be a Newsgroups: header when sending your email.
Atleast this MUA is thinking it is a newsgroup article when replying.   We
have a similar newsgroup emulator for email/mailing list.  Your news reader
is doing the right thing, but whatever is on the backend, needs to clean it
up before it exports it back into the email system as a "email message" not
as a news article.    I am just saying is that the stupid MUA will use the
Newsgroups: header an email vs. newsgroup indicator.

Thanks

---
Hector Santos
WINSERVER "Wildcat! Interactive Net Server"
http://www.santronics.com