Re: Fw: Angle brackets surrounding Content-ID

2004-10-11 09:12:58

In <005d01c4ad37$c1f8efa0$6401a8c0(_at_)hdev1> "Hector Santos"
<winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com> writes:

PS: There should not be a Newsgroups: header when sending your email.
Atleast this MUA is thinking it is a newsgroup article when replying.   We
have a similar newsgroup emulator for email/mailing list.  Your news reader
is doing the right thing, but whatever is on the backend, needs to clean it
up before it exports it back into the email system as a "email message" not
as a news article.    I am just saying is that the stupid MUA will use the
Newsgroups: header an email vs. newsgroup indicator.

An MUA that chooses whether to followup to Usenet or to reply using email
simply on the basis of whether a Newsgroups-header is present is severely
broken, since it is normal behaviour for a message which is both posted to
Usenet and emailed to individual recipients to include a Newsgroup-header
(how else are recipients to know that both media were involved).

I agree that, in this case where the newsgroup in question is purely local
to my own server, my backend could well have edited out the superfluous
header, and I really ought to fix that (and maybe I shall make it put a
Reply-To in at the same time).

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.