Re: Angle brackets surrounding Content-ID

2004-10-16 07:29:09

On 2004-Oct-08, at 15:07, Hector Santos wrote:
Have you heard of any case where this esoteric change of semantics
actually caused a problem?

IOW, is this a theoretical curiosity, or a cause of real problems in
meatspace?

I don't see any need to weaken an established standard jut because you don't expect any malfunction up to now.

Well,  traditionally, for the few networks I've been involved with, the
<id-right> has always been the domain and besides for tracking and
threading,  it might be used for dupe processing at the original domain
source.

Taking my usenet access, this is composed from
  message-id(_at_)user-id(_dot_)newsserver(_dot_)domain

I don't feel to be a domain by myself - but who knows.

So there's at least a part of the RHS which is not a domain.

PS: There should not be a Newsgroups: header when sending your email.
Atleast this MUA is thinking it is a newsgroup article when replying.

On the other hand you HAVE to set Newsgroups when you do e.g. a followup while you send a Cc per email.

Taking just the Newsgroup as prior identifier seems to be not reasonable. If you have both email and usenet headers, you should use both. What's wrong about the backend to handle postings and email? They are more identical than different. On the other hand - what should a MUA do about usenet at all?