RE: New Procmail Recipe Forum at UNIX.COM for the Procmail Communit y

2003-02-15 16:26:15

Normally I would not respond to this, but there is something important that
needs to be pointed out and since I have protected and admin'ed the UNIX.COM
domain since 1992, spent many thousands in its legal defense and
administration to keep it open and commercial free, I think I have a
non-selfish perspective to offer that need to be said to the cyber-bullies
on this list.

First of all, we can continually see that cyber-advances do alter human
behavior; much like virtual "The Gangs of New York" there is a
cyber-territory that is stalked by bullies waiting for people from other
technical communities to enter, so they can bash them with pedantic hate
messages and other aggressive-hate that would be completely unacceptable in
ALL face-to-face social interactions.   Being a highly technical contributor
is NOT an excuse for antisocial bullying people who briefly enter one
technical community from another.  These people give UNIX and the entire
open source community a bad name.

True technical wisdom and is the combination of technical excellence with
compassion and what is the most important is COMPASSION.  For the poster who
thinks that responding to Sean's attack and bullying puts me in the same
category, you need to re-examine your thought processes:

I briefly and kindly entered your Procmail community and posted a note
because I thought there might be some people in this community who might
enjoy participating in a special forum for Procmail recipe I just set up at
the UNIX.COM forums.  There was no malice intended and the original message
stands alone and speaks for itself, as well as the bullying and antisocial
attack that was the response to the kindness offered by the UNIX.COM
community.  You can read our rules and you can see that this type of
bullying is strictly against our rules and always has been, see RULE #1
here:

http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?s=4ce97c512605ee0560486a24baf2f972&thread
id=2971

For the Procmail community zealots and bullies  I kindly offer you this a
word of advise from someone who as admin privileges in a community of 24,000
users that grows daily (and has NEVER had a flame war on UNIX.COM ...)

When someone from a different technical community comes into your
cyber-world and graciously offers something of value that is commercial free
and complimentary, or just says "Hi," treat them with respect and be
gracious.  It has been many years (can't remember how many) since I have
read the old 'your email is spam' antisocial behavior on the net, and to be
candid, I forgot that there are still people on the net who think that
sitting in a chair behind a glass screen permits them to bully and attack.
This was dominate in mailing lists years ago, and is one of the reason that
I do not participate in unmoderated lists... I simply don't like reading the
email of antisocial bullies, even if they are the best regular expression
gurus in the known universe...

This brief exchange demonstrates one of the biggest failures of mailing-list
oriented communities.... A few bullies really make the list dominated by
'cyber gangs' who create a self-organizing pecking order that many (who have
already back-channeled me on this list) resort to 0: *bully /dev/null to
make life more socially enjoyable.

I hope that Sean's knee-jerk attack to my entering your cyberspace was not
representative of the overall Procmail community.  If it is, then I am
greatly saddened that such open great software is dominated by cyber
gang-rule.

On a more technical note (and to change the subject), has anyone developed
an HTML/PHP/MYSQL interface to Procmail to users could remotely (and very
easily) create Procmail recipes and use the power of HTML/PHP to administer
rules?  I did  a Google search and did not find anything, nor did anything
jump out at me in the Procmail docs.

Best Regards, Neo (www.unix.com)