dkim-dev

[dkim-dev] The Right Thing for reflectors (was: Mails from service(_at_)paypal(_dot_)de doesn't match body hash)

2008-04-10 10:25:58
At 09:25 10-04-2008, Michael Thomas wrote:
So I have a question here: is it generally the Right Thing to send to the
MAIL FROM? I've modified my reflector so that it will pay attention
to the Reply-To and could even change it to the MAIL FROM, but
I'm sort of worried that I might just be moving the problem around.

That's a good question.  Some people assume that the reflector will
send the reply to the email address in the From: header or the
address in the MAIL FROM:.

If we use the From:/Reply-To: header, we cannot replay a message as
the original posting requested and we cannot test message which may
be used in a production environment.

Addresses used in the MAIL FROM: are sometimes incorrect as they
point to a host which is not running a SMTP service or else the host
doesn't accept delivery for that recipient.  If we are enforcing ADSP
(assuming filtering during the SMTP session), the reject will go to
the email address used for the MAIL FROM:.

The Right Thing might be to use the email address MAIL FROM: for the
reply and have it overridden by the Reply-To: header.

Regards,
-sm