dkim-ops

Re: [dkim-ops] Test Results for various reflectors

2006-06-08 18:06:32
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

Sliced-and-diced from the dkim-ops archive...

At Thu Jun 8 16:37:34 PDT 2006, "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" wrote:
By the way -- can you tell WHY? I was signing using ietf-base-01, but am about to switch over to the allman one shortly, it's had SLIGHTLY more success than the others. (This message should be signed with it.) Which method are you using to verify?

The Allman drafts are older and eventually won't be supported. You should be using the IETF drafts. base-02 is current, and we can probably expect a base-03 draft within a month.

There's no support in dk-filter for signing in accordance with the base-02 spec is there?

This might explain my confusion -- on this page http://testing.dkim.org/reflector.html should those be ietf 00 and ietf 01 instead of allman 00 and allman 01? Or is there still something I'm missing?

Mostly we (being the working group) consider the most current version of each draft to be the one we're supporting, while including as much backward compatibility for prior versions as possible as well. Eventually support for earlier versions will be dropped, especially as we progress toward an actual RFC being published.

An (optional) version tag in the signature could be useful here (similar to the one in an SPF record).

>* Can anyone post contact addresses for issues with these
>reflectors? Ideally we need more info, such as: what testing method
>they're using, contact address, what standards they support.

The deployed implementations are listed at http://mipassoc.org/dkim/deploy/index.htm. While that's not a list of the autoresponders, it does give some indication of which versions are supported by which implementations. They should be fairly current.

You can post dkim-milter questions to the dkim-milter mailing list. I'm copying this email to you as the one you receive from this list will fail verification.

That wasn't a milter question, but some of the above ARE, and I'll be mentioning that on those mailing lists shortly. DKIM seems like a cool idea, but most of the documentation seems to be SERIOUSLY lacking.

As this has all been experimental and the draft process is not yet completed, it's kind of a moving target so documentation on very specific or uncommon issues can be hard to find. List archives are also a good place to hunt around for answers to the more common problems.

True, was just a little discouraging to find lists with volume over five months in the past two years (and some of them, last posted in 2005 -- I think we're fixing that now tho :))

-Dan

--

"Of course she's gonna be upset! You're dealing with a woman here Dan, what the hell's wrong with you?"

-S. Kennedy, 11/11/01