[fetchmail]Re: The 5.7.1 release of fetchmail is available

2001-03-04 14:49:15
On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Weird.  It's definitely broken on my Red Hat 7.1 box.

... This (RH 7.1) is of course still Beta --- But it is also
broken against RH 7.0 ... Nor does it presently build cleanly
against RH 6.0, dying at the same place ...

Rob Funk added:

For what it's worth, I had no problems compiling with NLS on
my Debian woody system.  (Though makedepend complained a
lot, apparently due to it looking for gcc 2.95.2 stuff
when the 2.95.3 stuff has replaced it.  I consider that
the part of the price of running the  "testing" distribution.)

I suspect a Red Hat problem....

So, perhaps ... , but Nalin has this in their SPEC file:

* Tue Nov 28 2000 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin(_at_)redhat(_dot_)com>
- enable NLS (#21419)

which appeared to be as simple as uncommenting the relevant
parts of the .spec file at fetchmail version 5.6.0, which is
currently in their Rawhide series, to accompany RH 7.1 --- It
spits off dozens of:

  internationalized messages should not contain the `\r' escape sequence

It (the RH SRPM) is also carrying 5 or 6 patches --- have
these been considered for inclusion in the main line?  As to
the NLS issue, what has changed since them?

-- Russ Herrold