Re: [fetchmail]The 5.7.1 release of fetchmail is available

2001-03-04 10:15:39
On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 00:51:36 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
fetchmail-5.7.1 (Sun Mar  4 00:30:04 EST 2001), 20167 lines:

* Note: NLS build ability is broken!

NLS build is broken, and I am pissed off.

I am totally fed up with the baroque, fragile pile of crap that is GNU
internalization.  Whatever it's actually doing is buried under so many
layers of undocumented macrology and over-complex generation scripts
that I can't even figure out *when* it stopped working, let alone why.

I need a fix patch from somebody who actually understands this
nonsense.  Otherwise I'm just going to rip all that stuff out in the
next release so I can stop maintaining it; it has cost me way too much
tsuris in the last two weeks.  I have much better things to do with my
time.

First I have to say that I would be very sad if you had to remove
NLS from fetchmail.

As far as I can see the problem is the symbolic link in the intl
directory from libintl.h to libgettext.h. Remove it! It shadows for
the real libintl.h in /usr/include.

The stuff in the intl directory is only used if configure cannot
find installed versions of gettext() and friends, or if explicitly
configured with --with-included-gettext. In that case configure will
create the symlink itself.

--
Byrial
http://home.worldonline.dk/~byrial/