Re: [fetchmail](no subject)

2001-08-07 23:24:54
Carl Jones <carl(_dot_)jones(_at_)voodoo-software(_dot_)com>:
Hi there,

I have a cobalt Qube2 which uses fetchmail for grabbing email from my
ISP to it's local mail accounts. I have read on your page that fetchmail
say's it does not strip MIME attachmetns but I am having that exact
problem.

I sent a test email in MIME format to my ISP account.

I downloaded it from Eudora, Outlook Express and my ISP's webmail
program without any problems, however, when used fetchmail it stripped
my MIME attachment. I thought perhaps it was sendmail orginally then I
used the -S option in fetchmail to redirect to another smtp server but
my attachment never made it.

If you look at the log attached (as well as a copy of what appeared for
the message in /var/spool/mail/[user]) you will see that fetchmail read
8797 bytes from the ISP POP account, this is fine, the attachment was
about 8k. However, as you can see from the log, all fetchmail sent to my
SMTP server was 1000 bytes.

I see in your FAQ you say that some programs do not send MIME properly,
fair enough, but surely fetchmail should not be stripping data out of
the email messages anyway and just forward on what it gets?

Fetchmail *never* strips data out of message bodies.  Don't take my word for
this -- read the code in transact.c:readbody().

I'd suspect the MDA fetchmail is passing to. To check this, follow the
instructions in FAQ item X5.
--

The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
        -- A.E. Van Vogt, "The Weapon Shops Of Isher", ASF December 1942