[fetchmail]Make daemon warn me when auth fails

2002-04-11 06:51:11
Can anybody give me a hint on how to make fetchmail running in daemon
mode warn me when authentication towards the remote box fails?
Preferably via mail to my local box. Actually I think this was the
default behavior some versions ago.

I promise to write a few lines for the man pages if I succeed.

The background is that I (well, many in this site) use a fetchmail
daemon to poll a less frequently used remote box. The admin has
imposed password expiration, and I keep forgetting to renew it. The
result is that the daemon silently dies :-(

I could of course skip daemon mode and have a cron job test the return
code for each invocation, but that seems clumsy now that there *is*
daemom mode.

BTW, who votes for having the warning by default? I do! (But only when
in daemon mode, of course.)

Cheers
--
Björn Wirén