[fetchmail]syslog questions

2002-04-19 04:47:22
I'm experimenting with syslog to detect when my fetchmail daemon dies
- which it does periodically due to pw expiration in the remote box -
but I can't get it to work.

This is the relevant line in syslog.conf (I'm on Solaris 7):

mail.warning                         /var/adm/messages

A test with `logger' proved it's working, but nothing gets stored when
fetchmail experiences authentication failure (and I *did* say 'set
syslog' in the run control file). Is the message issued at a level
lower than `warning'? Unfortunately I have no privileges to modify
syslog.conf myself.

I tried `set logfile <file>' instead of `set syslog', in the
assumption the messages are the same (are they?). After a while I
hosed the pw in `.fetchmailrc'. Now I expected to see something about
an authentication failure in the log file, but this was all:

   fetchmail: starting fetchmail 5.9.11 daemon
   fetchmail: sleeping at Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:07:56 +0200 (MET DST)
   fetchmail: sleeping at Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:12:56 +0200 (MET DST)
   fetchmail: restarting fetchmail (/home/etxbwir/.fetchmailrc changed)
   fetchmail: background fetchmail at 2254 awakened.

At that instance, the fetchmail daemon had died - without a trace in
the log file. Did I misunderstand something?

Regards
--
Björn Wirén