Re: [fetchmail]smtp forwarding not working after upgrading fetchmail and sendmail

2002-04-18 10:44:56
[ Please, keep list traffic on the list... ]

From: Ferdinand SB Balcita <FerdieB(_at_)subdimension(_dot_)com>

I connect to the Internet via PPP (dynamic IP) for just a few minutes a
day. And I'm not even using a legal domain name so as far as I can tell,
my mail server is not configured to interact with the rest of the world.
Do you think there's risk enough in this sort of connection/setup to
warrant an upgrade? 'Cause I have to upgrade a lot of packages (seems
like the whole system) if I do...

The risk for that setup, especially if you firewall yourself (you *do* that, don't you). However an upgrade to 8.12.3 shouldn't require an upgrade of anything else. At least it didn't for me.

i didn't have to edit the access file 'cause they're all there.

touched all files in /etc/mail so i could do a make all. restarted
sendmail. now here's the funny part. if i telnet to localhost at port
25, i get an 'Access denied' error if i issue a MAIL FROM command. but
if i send mail to myself using mutt, everything works fine. weird...

Sounds like you've got a security funny. Worth a visit to comp.mail.sendmail and see if the experts there can help.

   Please don't CC me on anything sent to mailing lists or send
       me email directly unless it's a privacy issue, thanks.
--
Rob  |  Ask questions the smart way: