[fetchmail] Re: Deleting stale mail on servers

2003-10-10 03:53:23
On Oct 10, at 06:34 AM,
fetchmail-friends-request(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org wrote:

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com>
To: James Stone <stone1(_at_)btinternet(_dot_)com>
Cc: fetchmail-friends(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [fetchmail] python script to delete old mail

James Stone <stone1(_at_)btinternet(_dot_)com>:
I have just written a short python script to be run as a cron job to
delete mail that has been left on the pop3 server x days. This allows
collection of mail on several accounts on different computers, without
relying on Micro$oft solutions or manual deletion, or your ISPs deletion
settings to clear your pop3 mailbox (when running fetchmail with keep).

I will post it to the list here if people are interested.

Must it be Python?

JMHO, but adding a dependancy on a language that isn't in the base OS
of many distributions severely limits it's appeal and use.

Please do.  One of the most requested features that I refuse to add
is a switch to make fetchmail do this.  Having your script in the
contrib directory might help reduce the pressure.

Just curious, why the refusal?

Thanks,
Dave

--