Re: [fetchmail] Re: Deleting stale mail on servers

2003-10-10 13:16:50
On Oct 10, at 02:55 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd(_at_)visi(_dot_)com>:
Of course, the "ancestral" popclient was more an MUA than a protocol
gateway, since it didn't talk SMTP.  Some people still want that MUA-ish
functionality.

Now, now... Even though I am one of those folk, ESR said "Discussion
closed", and I guess I'll have to settle for that.

You overinterpreted,  "Discussion closed" was about the appropriateness
of Python for helper utilities.

Ah. My bad.

But I think I can safely say that fetchmail started as, indeed, has even
grown moreso into, more than just a "procotol gateway". All one has to
look at are the options for MDA error returns, header parsing headaches,
etc., to see that it is more than an "procotol gateway" - unless my idea
of what that means is too transparent.

And I will disagree with your disagreement: When Redhat's, et. al., Linux
matures into something more closely resembling the BSDs or Solaris (and
it will), you'll have a different view of what I now see as most Linux
varieties' "everything but the kitchen sink" approach to a base OS.

I'm always willing to look at patches
even if I disagree with the premise behind them.

I take you at your word; you've decided against one patch of mine - twice.

Just a counterpoint. Meaning no offense,
Dave

--