Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail is incapable of continuous unattended operation

2004-02-26 06:26:45
On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:28:10PM +0000, Michael Abbott wrote:
2.  Persuade sendmail to take *all* mail without delay.

Can you explain why sendmail is slow to accept some mail?  That seems
odd to me, either the mail is acceptable or it isn't, what can make
its acceptability slow?

I guess the problem is that some claimed sender domain names take one or
more minutes to fail to resolve (I've no idea why this should be).  For
example:

      $ time host needtodateaperson.com
      Host not found, try again.

      real    1m0.114s
      user    0m0.000s
      sys     0m0.006s
      $

This one minute takes me past the time the ISP seems willing to wait, and
I think that other mails cause worse problems (I've not dug much deeper
yet).

If sendmail normally waited any significant time for such things then
the whole of the internet's E-Mail would instantly grind to a halt I
think. I think you need to sort out this sendmail slowness (if that's
what it really is), it definitely shouldn't be that way and lots of
other things would break as a consequence if it is really slow.

I'm not going to be much help on fixing sendmail for you I'm afraid
though.

--
Chris Green (chris(_at_)areti(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk)